Sellers FAQs

Do I need a ‘for sale’ board when selling a property?

It is not mandatory, but a surprising number of buyer enquiries come from people who have seen a ‘for sale’ sign on a property, so it can definitely help to raise the profile of your property. We will check to ensure that we are permitted to display a board in your grounds or on your building.

How can I present my property in the best possible light when I’m selling it?

First impressions count and making your property look its best could be the difference between selling your property and losing a potential buyer. It is important to:

  • Think like a buyer - cast a critical eye over your property and identify areas that require improvement
  • Reduce clutter and decorate neutrally - keep rooms clean and tidy, this will help a buyer to fully visualise the space
  • Keep it light - clean the windows and open all the curtains to encourage natural light into your property
  • Consider the exterior – buyers will often walk or drive past first, so fresh paintwork and well cared for outside spaces make a great first impressio

How long does it usually take between exchange and completion?

There is no exact answer on this. The most common would usually be two-four weeks, but this can be negotiated with the buyer’s solicitors.

Should I have an open day?

An open day is when a property is marketed through viewings and buyers are invited to view the home in one day rather than spread out over a few weeks.

It usually allows you to sell your property more quickly with interested buyers submitting their offers via sealed bid and the best offer wins

An open day working is dependent on market conditions as the success of an open day relies on high competition levels on the day. All our valuers would discuss all marketing options with you when they meet you and they would be able to advise on the best marketing strategy.

Should I pay for a property Valuation?

There are different ways to obtain a property valuation. If you are selling a property, we will not charge you to estimate a market value of your property.

If you are buying a property and require a mortgage, your mortgage lender will carry out a mortgage valuation. This is a basic survey of a property to assess its value and suitability for a mortgage. Mortgage lenders will insist on a property valuation before a loan is advanced.

Additionally, when you are buying a property you may want to carry out a more in depth valuation and instruct surveyors to complete a homebuyer’s report or building survey. We can recommend chartered surveyors who follow strict guidelines set down by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors for all their survey and property valuation work.

What is a sealed bid?

A sealed bid is a method often used by people wishing to sell a property where high levels of interest are either anticipated or already being achieved to find buyers who are committed and willing to exchange quickly at the best price.

What legal documents do I need when selling a property?

A property for sale requires a number of legal documents to be produced, including:

  • Property title deeds
  • Local authority searches (this is at the cost of the buyer unless selling through an Auction Service)
  • Draft contract to the buye
  • Leasehold document (if applicable)
  • Energy Performance Certificate

What is an EPC?

Any property advertised for sale must have an EPC or energy performance certificate.

An EPC demonstrates the energy rating and efficiency of a property. It gives landlords and tenants information on how energy efficient the property is and gives a standard energy and carbon emissions rating from A to G, with A being the most efficient.

What should I do about my current mortgage?

For advice on your current mortgage you should contact a mortgage consultant. We have mortgage consultants who we refer to with contacts in many of the UK’s mortgage lenders. If you would like us to put you in contact please contact your local branch.

When selling my property, should I have a sole or multiple agency agreement?

It is worth knowing the different ways you can use estate agencies to market your property. A multiple agency agreement can sometimes offer a wider coverage of applicants if the chose agents are located in differing locations. Keep in mind that multiple agency agreements are typically more expensive and any market leading agent like Addison Townsend will give you the online marketing presence that would be matched using multiple agents.